Trail Riding with Itcha-Ilgachuz Mountain Outfitting
Photo © Chris Harris
PRICING (the 2022 season is full.)
$310 (plus applicable taxes) per day includes everything that you need for a trail ride, excluding your sleeping and personal gear.
All guests will be required to sign a waiver.
We have been in the outfitting business since 1978. Our outfit remains quite small, taking only four or five rides per year. We offer a professional and well organized mountain ride which will take you to the heart and into the history of the magnificent Chilcotin wild country. You will be amazed at what can be cooked up over a campfire, impressed at the big skies and deep silences, and feel safe and well taken care of on our surefooted mountain horses. Many of our guests have very limited or no riding experience at all to start out with, but that has never been a problem. We are careful to go through basic riding techniques and safety precautions with every rider before leaving the ranch. The safety of our guests is top priority.
We will have at least one (usually two) experienced wranglers with us. Most often your head wrangler will be an immediate member of the family and have many years of experience in the mountains and with horses as well.
Our trips are normally between seven and ten days long. Our maximum number of guests per ride is eight. We strongly encourage you to put your own groups together but of course that is not always possible and not a problem as we can usually fill rides up.
There are no pre-set camps. We take everything with us on the pack horses as we go along and like to spend two days at each camp, as time permits. This allows the riders the freedom to do as they like on camp day, choosing if and how far they will ride. However, guests rarely choose to stay behind as the scenery is spectacular and the chance to see Mountain Caribou is virtually guaranteed. Our park is home of one of the largest herds in North America. Other game you are likely to see include Moose, Deer, Black and Grizzly Bear, Mountain Goats, Coyotes, Wolves, Marmots, Ptarmigan and Bald Eagles. And as if that isn't enough, the alpine flowers are stunning at certain times of the year and the fishing is excellent. It truly is a photographer's and hiker's paradise! The majority of our riding time is spent up above alpine, coming down into the timber for sheltered camps and good horse feed.
Woodland caribou in the volcanic landscape of the Itcha Mountains.
We have done horse-assisted hiking in the past and would consider doing that again.
We do offer a sixteen-day trip every few years, often requested by ‘repeat riders’ that are ready for more. This trip wanders through the Itcha Mountains, and into the infamous "Grass Beyond the Mountains” country to the Pan Phillips Fishing Resort. The resort is run by Pan’s son Rob and his wife Linda and there you will find more of the wild history and stories of the area. After a welcome break, bed and shower at the rustic but very comfortable lodge, the ride winds back home by way of the Ilgatchuz Mountains. Truly a unique experience.
The infamous Ladies-Only Ride
For almost 30 years now, Wanda has been taking "Ladies Only" trail rides. The itinerary is the same as the mixed rides but there is something special about a group of wild women in the wilderness! These trips generally take place in August while the men on the ranch are busy haying. The only complaint we've received was from the gentlest pack horse we have, who gets to pack the wine!
If you have not come to our site through a contact that already knows us, we would be happy to provide references from past clientele that have agreed to discuss our rides with you.
- The cost per day is $310 (plus applicable taxes)
- We ask for a $750 dollar deposit to hold your saddle. This deposit is non-refundable, unless our outfit specifically cancels the ride. If the rider who cancels can find a replacement, the deposit can be transferred. The deposit cheque can be made out and sent to Wanda Dorsey, Box 3320 Anahim Lake, BC V0L 1C0.
- Guests are asked to come to the ranch the evening before their ride leaves and are welcome to stay with us the night the ride returns to the ranch. There are no extra charges.
- All guests will be required to sign a waiver.
- Guests should bring their own tents, sleeping pads and sleeping bags. Waterproof duffels are ideal, but packing all your stuff in plastic inside a canvas one works as well. Guests are asked to pack only ONE bag.
- We ask that you keep your gear to 35 lbs. This weight does not include your tent and your tent does not need to fit into your duffel bag! There is always an ‘extra’s’ bag for boots etc. that may not fit.
- When you send your deposit, you will receive a confirmation card that will also contain the ‘suggested equipment list’ and directions to the ranch. And of course feel free to email or phone with any questions!